"Your Own Wickedness Will Correct You . . ." Says Jehovah! (See Jeremiah 2:19 (NKJV)

For All Guests & Visitors Seeking General Information About This Discussion Board's Reading Content.
Apollyon (Rev. 9:11)

"Your Own Wickedness Will Correct You . . ." Says Jehovah! (See Jeremiah 2:19 (NKJV)

Post by Apollyon (Rev. 9:11) »

"Your Own Wickedness Will Correct You . . ." Says Jehovah!
(See Jeremiah 2:19 New King James Version)

[Article written by: Donald C. Burney on September 18th, 2024, and posted on Jehovahstruth.com Discussion Board.]

Perhaps, you may remember hearing some of the older Jehovah's Witnesses in your congregation say,

"If a brother or sister sins, he can reprove himself, he does NOT . . . not need to talk to the elders about it. It is between him/herself only . . . and Jehovah."

Have you ever heard older ones say this?

Actually, this viewpoint was held for a long time by many of Jehovah's Witnesses around the world.

In fact, this viewpoint became popular back in the mid-1970s among Jehovah's Witnesses world wide. This is because the Watchtower Society actually taught this in their literature for a period of time. Of course as of recent, they have gotten away from this viewpoint. They now want to monitor a person's any and every movement, censoring any error, mistake or mishap a person may make within the Christian Congregation. They teach the elders to hover over the flock like a hawk, ready to pounce upon them at any given moment, even if they give a hint at sinning. They even tell the elders to "police" the private bedroom of married couples! Isn't that true?

This is appalling!

However, when we take a close look at Jeremiah 2:19, Jehovah does agree with their original viewpoint of things. Yes, a sinner should be able to reprove himself, using God's Word as a form of "Godly Discipline" toward him or herself. (2 Timothy 3:16, 17) He does not need any outside help from other individuals to do this. -- See 2 Chronicles 16:9; Jeremiah 17:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:27; James 4:17.

Take for example this verse, 2 Samuel 24:10 New Living Translation, which tells us:

• "But after he had taken the census, David’s conscience began to bother him. And he said to the LORD, “I have sinned greatly by taking this census. Please forgive my guilt, LORD, for doing this foolish thing.”"

Clearly, King David did not need any help from outsiders to help him appreciate the fact, that he had sinned . . . gravely.

Therefore, he (David) immediately, after sinning, took the appropriate steps to repair his relationship with Jehovah after sinning and promptly rectified the situation, as we see above, to regain his good status with "his God and Father," Jehovah God. (John 20:17) A fine example for all of us today!

To be sure, this simple example shown above, also shows us that it is entirely UNNECESSARY, for a "Judicial Committee" among Jehovah's Witnesses to be convened to verbally chastise, degrade or publicly humiliate congregation members because of sins committed by themselves, known only to themselves. No "Judicial Committee" is needed for this. Yes, this erring one, can reprove himself, based upon what God's Word plainly says. No problem.

However, there may be instances where a Christian follower of Christ may err, and perhaps through stubbornness or arbitrary attitudes displayed at times, he may need additional help, yes, outside help,to get himself back on the right track with Jehovah. This is something that Jesus taught us. In this case, the elders and yes, even the entire congregation can assist a person to regain his senses, if he/she persists in sinning, especially, if this has become known to others. Jesus highlights the fact, that the "lost sheep" of the "100 sheep" in his care, may need to be "brought to repentance," in this particular instance. (See Matthew 18:10-18; Luke 15:1-7; 1 Timothy 5:20.) Remember this also happened to King David, Jehovah sent the prophet Nathan to straighten him out over his sin with Uriah and Bathsheba. David needed additional help, in this particular instance. And, Jehovah obliged him. Jehovah sent the prophet Nathan. -- See 2 Samuel 11:1-12:22.

Modern-Day "Israel" In Apostasy Today!

Likewise, the same could be said to be true of God's Name People today. We could say, this same situation is also true today of:

However it seems, 8.7 million Jehovah's Witnesses are not willing to "repent," over their public apostasy, in connection with the United Nations. Yes, it has been over 20 years since this Great National "Sin" has been publicly known about, through the Guardian Newspaper ever since October 2001, and still Jehovah's Witnesses have not . . . have NOT repented before God Almighty, like stubborn King David did. -- Isaiah 65:2; Hosea 4:16

So, what is Jehovah & Jesus Christ, the Head of the Christian Congregation, to do, I ask?

What will Jehovah God and Jesus, the Head of the Christian Congregation, do about this horrendous, horrific, public sin? Yes, even though this particular sin . . . has "escaped the notice" of the vast majority of Jehovah's Witnesses, globally-speaking? The Law of Moses points out, that even in cases where the "sin is hidden from the congregation," ATONEMENT is still needed on the part of the nation, in God's eyes. (See Lev. 4:13-21 NRSV)

So again I ask, what is Jehovah & Jesus Christ, the Head of the Christian Congregation, to do about such a situation?

Again, Jehovah and Jesus Christ, will oblige them (Jehovah's Witnesses). Just like king David.

Simple.

Jehovah and Jesus will send the apostate, wayward nation of "Israel" of today, a "Helper" [Greek: paraclete] . . . yes, a Special "Helper" to help them out, who will "convict" them of Sin, just like Nathan did David. (Some translations render this expression "Advocate," "Comforter," "Counselor.") Yes, they need additional help, in this instance. They need, a prophet, to help them out, because of great transgression committed against God Almighty! They need . . . the "Spirit of Truth," a human, a man, an appointed special person and "representative of God," (John 1:6), who is both from, Jehovah God and Jesus Christ, sent to "save" the nation of "Israel" from complete destruction. -- See Isaiah 49:5-6; Malachi 4:5-6; John 14:26; John 15:26; John 16:7-12;

Think about it.

To prove the point that "Sin" [UN-NGO situation] itself, needs to "correct" and "discipline" all Jehovah's Witnesses world wide, let's take a look at various renderings of the bible text of Jeremiah 2:19 shown below.

New International Version
Your wickedness will punish you; your backsliding will rebuke you. Consider then and realize how evil and bitter it is for you when you forsake the LORD your God and have no awe of me,” declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty.

New Living Translation

Your wickedness will bring its own punishment. Your turning from me will shame you. You will see what an evil, bitter thing it is to abandon the LORD your God and not to fear him. I, the Lord, the LORD of Heaven’s Armies, have spoken!

English Standard Version

Your evil will chastise you, and your apostasy will reprove you. Know and see that it is evil and bitter for you to forsake the LORD your God; the fear of me is not in you, declares the Lord GOD of hosts.

Berean Standard Bible
Your own evil will discipline you; your own apostasies will reprimand you. Consider and realize how evil and bitter it is for you to forsake the LORD your God and to have no fear of Me,” declares the Lord GOD of Hosts.

King James Bible

Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts.

New King James Version
Your own wickedness will correct you, And your backslidings will rebuke you. Know therefore and see that it is an evil and bitter thing That you have forsaken the LORD your God, And the fear of Me is not in you,” Says the Lord GOD of hosts.

New American Standard Bible

“Your own wickedness will correct you, And your apostasies will punish you; Know therefore and see that it is evil and bitter For you to abandon the LORD your God, And the fear of Me is not in you,” declares the Lord GOD of armies.

NASB 1995

“Your own wickedness will correct you, And your apostasies will reprove you; Know therefore and see that it is evil and bitter For you to forsake the LORD your God, And the dread of Me is not in you,” declares the Lord GOD of hosts.

NASB 1977
Your own wickedness will correct you, And your apostasies will reprove you; Know therefore and see that it is evil and bitter For you to forsake the LORD your God, And the dread of Me is not in you,” declares the Lord GOD of hosts.

Legacy Standard Bible

Your own evil will chastise you, And your acts of faithlessness will reprove you; Know therefore and see that it is evil and bitter For you to forsake Yahweh your God, And the dread of Me is not in you,” declares Lord Yahweh of hosts.

Amplified Bible

Your own wickedness will discipline you, And your desertion of the faith will punish you. Know therefore that it is an evil and bitter thing For you to abandon (reject) the LORD your God, And for you to be indifferent to Me and dismiss the [reverent] fear of Me,” says the Lord GOD of hosts.

Christian Standard Bible

Your own evil will discipline you; your own apostasies will reprimand you. Recognize how evil and bitter it is for you to abandon the LORD your God and to have no fear of me. This is the declaration of the Lord GOD of Armies.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Your own evil will discipline you; your own apostasies will reprimand you. Think it over and see how evil and bitter it is for you to abandon the LORD your God and to have no fear of Me. This is the declaration of the Lord GOD of Hosts.

American Standard Version
Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and a bitter, that thou hast forsaken Jehovah thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord, Jehovah of hosts.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Your evil shall chastise you and your turning away shall reprove you, and know and see what is evil and bitter because you have forsaken LORD JEHOVAH your God, and you were not in awe of me, says LORD JEHOVAH God of Hosts

Brenton Septuagint Translation

Thine apostasy shall correct thee, and thy wickedness shall reprove thee: know then, and see, that thy forsaking me has been bitter to thee, saith the Lord thy God; and I have taken no pleasure in thee, saith the Lord thy God.

Contemporary English Version
Your own sins will punish you, because it was a bitter mistake for you to reject me without fear of punishment. I, the LORD All-Powerful, have spoken.

Douay-Rheims Bible

Thy own wickedness shall reprove thee, and thy apostasy shall rebuke thee. Know thou, and see that it is an evil and a bitter thing for thee, to have left the Lord thy God, and that my fear is not with thee, saith the Lord the God of hosts.

English Revised Version
Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and a bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts.

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Your own wickedness will correct you, and your unfaithful ways will punish you. You should know and see how evil and bitter it is for you if you abandon the LORD your God and do not fear me," declares the Almighty LORD of Armies.

Good News Translation

Your own evil will punish you, and your turning from me will condemn you. You will learn how bitter and wrong it is to abandon me, the LORD your God, and no longer to remain faithful to me. I, the Sovereign LORD Almighty, have spoken."

International Standard Version

Your wickedness will be punished, and you will be corrected due to your acts of apostasy. Know and see that it's evil and bitter for you to forsake the LORD your God, but the fear of me is not in you," declares the Lord GOD of the Heavenly Armies.

JPS Tanakh 1917
Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, And thy backslidings shall reprove thee: Know therefore and see that it is an evil and a bitter thing, That thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, Neither is My fear in thee, Saith the Lord GOD of hosts.

Literal Standard Version

Your wickedness instructs you, | And your backslidings reprove you, | Know and see that an evil and a bitter thing [is] your forsaking your God YHWH, | And My fear not being on you,” | A declaration of Lord YHWH of Hosts.

Majority Standard Bible
Your own evil will discipline you; your own apostasies will reprimand you. Consider and realize how evil and bitter it is for you to forsake the LORD your God and to have no fear of Me,” declares the Lord GOD of Hosts.

New American Bible

Your own wickedness chastises you, your own infidelities punish you. Know then, and see, how evil and bitter is your forsaking the LORD, your God, And your showing no fear of me, oracle of the Lord, the GOD of hosts.

NET Bible
Your own wickedness will bring about your punishment. Your unfaithful acts will bring down discipline on you. Know, then, and realize how utterly harmful it was for you to reject me, the LORD your God, to show no respect for me," says the Lord GOD who rules over all.

New Revised Standard Version
Your wickedness will punish you, and your apostasies will convict you. Know and see that it is evil and bitter for you to forsake the LORD your God; the fear of me is not in you, says the Lord GOD of hosts.

New Heart English Bible
"Your own wickedness shall correct you, and your backsliding shall reprove you. Know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter that you have forsaken the LORD your God, and that my fear is not in you," says the Lord, GOD of hosts.

Webster's Bible Translation

Thy own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts.

World English Bible
“Your own wickedness will correct you, and your backsliding will rebuke you. Know therefore and see that it is an evil and bitter thing, that you have forsaken Yahweh your God, and that my fear is not in you,” says the Lord, Yahweh of Armies.

Young's Literal Translation

Instruct thee doth thy wickedness, And thy backslidings reprove thee, Know and see that an evil and a bitter thing Is thy forsaking Jehovah thy God, And My fear not being on thee, An affirmation of the Lord Jehovah of Hosts.

Article written by: Donald C. Burney on September 18th, 2024, and posted on Jehovahstruth.com Discussion Board.

***End of article***